Skip to main content

Chevrolet Traverse & Buick LaCrosse Quick Takes

Today, I went to my city's Auto Show. As in most Auto Shows, there were different test drive events. One of them was GM's, and GM's test drive event was the only one my father and I participated in. In both cases, I was the passenger (I'm still far from being driving age). Both test drives were short jaunts around busy streets in the city. Here are my notes about the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick LaCrosse.

2013 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ

This car has garnered much praise from automotive journalists. However, I wasn't particularly impressed by it.


First of all, the two captain's chairs in the second row had little padding. Plus, there were kind of small. Along those lines, the armrests were too short, and they left half of my arm hanging. A nice touch was that the door panels were padded and stitched even in the second row. On the other hand, the wood trim was obviously fake. It didn't even try to hide its plastic texture. Also, the sunshade for the dual moonroofs weren't particularly shady. They were a mesh material.

Another thing that annoyed me was the fact that the side windows in the third row were nearly useless. They were no more than little slivers of glass way up high.

A surprise was how rough the engine was. I could feel the vibrations of the engine in my seat, particularly when the car was idling. The ride is well-dampened, but the suspension doesn't absorb impacts well. That may be attributable to the large wheels on the test car.

2013 Buick LaCrosse Touring

My first impressions of this car were not good. The windows were extremely short (though I got used to it fairly quickly) and the start-up of this car shook the entire vehicle.


Once we got moving, I could feel the texture of the road. Impact harshness is actually well-muted, but the actual surface of the pavement got translated pretty well into the cabin as a near-constant vibration in the floor that only stops when the car stops.

Same as the Traverse, the moonroofs' shades weren't all that useful. The wood trim is strikingly fake, and cheap plastics were not used sparingly around the doors and lower door panels. Those plastics were acceptable in the Traverse, but I prefer my luxury car to be a luxury car through and through.

On a good note, the Harman/Kardon stereo provided clear, powerful sound. The 3.6-liter V-6 also moved the LaCrosse out of its own way very well, at least on city streets. The cabin was also notably quiet. And I also appreciated the leather-lined front seatbacks.

Both vehicles are very roomy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L Review

These pictures aren't of the actual vehicle, but the colors and trim level are correct. Those of you who have been following this blog since its inception know that my parents have two cars: a 2006 Nissan Sentra and a 2005 Mazda MPV. Well, we recently swapped our dear little MPV for a 2003 Odyssey.  The reason for that is, well, there isn't much reason. It's mostly to spice things up in our lives and have a different car for a change without spending any extra money. Our Odyssey came with every bell and whistle you could get in a minivan in 2003, including a factory-installed DVD entertainment system, leather seats, heated seats in the front, and dual power sliding doors.  First impressions were a mixed bag. The engine was very smooth, quiet, and powerful, apparently typical of Hondas, but there was a rough patch between 1000 and 1500 RPM or so. You can't feel the road textures at all while driving the car, but it crashed loudly over larger bumps. Loud can als

2015 Honda Accord LX Sedan Long Term Update

Hey readers! It's been a long time since I've posted on this blog. In fact, it's been more than half a year. I'm really sorry to the negative three people who read this blog regularly, but here is a new post! School is finally winding down, so I thought that I'd review the new Accord my family bought last September and give an update on how it's doing.  In the highly-competitive, yet stagnating, field of midsize family sedans, the Accord has reigned as the best or second-best seller for many years. After a controversial eighth generation that ran from 2008 to 2012, the ninth generation is considered Honda's comeback to producing quality products. 

Big News: We Bought a New Car!

It is an exciting day for me! As the title says, my family bought a new car! We haven't done that since 10 years ago when we bought our 2006 Nissan Sentra.  There it is, parked on the driveway right after we drove home from the dealership. Isn't the color so nice? The interior is beige, too! It's the perfect color combination.  Getting that car to be on our driveway, though, was a laborious and drawn-out task. We started car-shopping yesterday morning, when my dad and I test drove the Camry and Accord.  At first, we headed for the Ford dealer intending to test drive the Taurus and Fusion, but it shunned us by saying that it was "too busy for test drives." There were maybe two other people at the dealership then. Whatever.  We then headed to a semi-rural Honda dealership in search of an Accord. I was expecting it to be loud and firm-riding in traditional Honda fashion. Instead, it impressed me with its solidity. Unfortunately, the specific Accord we test